Hip hop, born in the Bronx, New York City, during the 1970s, has evolved into a global cultural phenomenon. It combines elements of music, dance, art, and expression, little wonder it has a profound influence on the world. Now, Walmart is ready to celebrate this culture!
To celebrate the 50th year of hip hop’s reign and its impact on black culture, Walmart is collaborating with People of Crypto Lab (POClab). The retail powerhouse and Web3 creative studio are launching an initiative called ‘Cultureverse’.
This is not Walmart’s first venture in the Web3 sphere. In 2022, the retail giant launched Walmart Land and Walmart’s Universe of Play on Roblox.
Scheduled for a September release exclusively on Spatial, Cultureverse introduces an unprecedented journey, paying homage to the groundbreaking pioneers of hip hop.
Here’s what you can anticipate:
- Immersive lessons exploring the trailblazers and pivotal moments of hip hop
- Thematic realms that celebrate the convergence of art, music, and fashion
- Interactive activities inviting you to shape and share your unique creations
- The chance to customize your avatar with iconic retro hip hop styles
Furthermore, Cultureverse is committed to advancing technology accessibility for black creators. Walmart will provide an enhanced version of its Black & Unlimited platform. This platform is designed to support and empower black content creators and entrepreneurs through strategic initiatives and collaborations.
POClab: A Voice For The Marginalized
POClab is a specialized studio that harnesses Web3 technology to illuminate marginalized communities and their cultural significance. It was launched in 2022 by Akbar Hamid and Simone Berry.
POC Lab’s noteworthy projects include:
- The curation of digital art by black artists during Black History Month
- Pride is POC avatar collection that is an avatar collection in The Sandbox celebrating LGBTQ+ diversity
- The amplification of Latino creators during Hispanic Heritage Month
Simone Berry stated that their collaboration with Walmart’s Black & Unlimited will inspire a fresh generation of black creators. Berry also highlighted the importance of nurturing an atmosphere of innovation and inclusivity.